Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving of one another as God in Christ forgave you.
-Ephesians 4:31-32

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Vermeer

Some days you're more ready to wake up before seven to make hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pancakes for guests.

Other days it feels like a job where your sleep schedule is funny, you're struggling with intense conversations from the night before and you're just plain tired.

Today was closer to the latter. I woke up, put my hair back in a clip, wore a t-shirt, very little makeup, and hopped on my bike in the pouring rain and got to making those pancakes.

About two hours and two hundred pancakes into my shift, a Spanish guest came up to me and said:

"Sabes--Yo se que no eres holandesa, pero realmente, pareces que pertaneces a un cuadro de Vermeer. Realmente."

Or:

"You know, I know you're not Dutch, but really you look like you belong in a painting by Vermeer. Really"

Such a compliment. I look like a pretty lady painted by a Dutch master.


No comments:

Post a Comment